Varied Topics will be Presented at Whippany, South Orange and West Orange Senior Living Communities
West Orange, NJ, September 29, 2016 (Newswire.com) - The Jewish Community Housing Corporation of Metropolitan New Jersey invites older adults throughout Essex and Morris counties to attend its JCHC University seminars this fall. The sessions are offered through the organization’s non-accredited adult learning program; this is the first time they are open to area seniors. The courses are free and will be held at several of the non-profit organization’s senior living communities. All courses start at 2:00 p.m. as follows:
- Thurs., Oct. 10 – Writer Bennett Muraskin will lead “You Know More Yiddish Than you Think” at the Lester Senior Housing Community, 903-905 Route 10 East in Whippany (on the Alex Aidekman Family Campus of the Jewish Federation). Muraskin will illustrate the many Yiddish words and expressions that have entered the English vocabulary in this fun and interactive program. He is a contributing writer to Jewish Currents and the author of "Guide to Yiddish Short Stories" and several other books.
- Mon., Oct. 31 – Learn about the many lighthouses of Maine in “Maine: The Lighthouse State” with Lavinia Walker at South Orange B’nai B’rith Federation House, 219 South Orange Avenue in South Orange. Walker will take attendees on a journey of exploration of Maine’s historic lighthouses that are spread along 5,000 miles of coastline, inlets and islands.
- Mon., Nov. 7 – Dr. Mark Grebenau, a physician, scientist and martial artist with a first-degree black belt, will talk about “Self Defense” at Village Apartments of the Jewish Federation, 110 Vose Avenue in South Orange. He will provide practical advice on what to do in case of an attack.
- Mon., Nov. 14 – Learn important health tips during a “Nutrition and Wellness Q&A” from Roberta Atti at Jewish Federation Plaza, 750 Northfield Avenue in West Orange. Atti, a member of the American Association of Nutritional Consultants, teaches principles of nutrition and holistic health, and will talk about how to shop for quality ingredients for nutritious meals and whole foods cuisine.
- Mon., Nov. 21 – Karen Frank, director of Project SHIN Jewish Congregational Nursing, will present “Wise Aging” at South Orange B’nai B’rith Federation House in South Orange. She will discuss the differences between becoming old and becoming an elder, and talk about ways to see the opportunities in one’s senior years rather than focus on the challenges.
- Mon., Nov. 28 – Rabbi Zvi Karpel will present “The Spanish Inquisition and the Expulsion of Jews from Spain” at the Lester Senior Housing Community in Whippany. His talk will cover the rich culture and life of the Jews under Muslim rule from the 800s to the early Middle Ages, and address the Inquisition and expulsion that occurred under King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella.
Advance registration for JCHC University courses is requested; to sign up, contact Emma Reading at (973) 530-3977.
The sessions are offered through the JCHC's non-accredited adult learning program; this is the first time they are open to area seniors.
About the Jewish Community Housing Corporation of Metropolitan New Jersey
Founded in 1983, the Jewish Community Housing Corporation of Metropolitan New Jersey (JCHC) owns and manages more than 470 apartments in four buildings for older adults in Morris and Essex counties in northern New Jersey. The non-profit organization offers seniors a range of options in terms of services, amenities, location, and cost, all within a traditional Jewish environment. The JCHC provides housing, programs, and services for the independent elderly as well as those who need assisted living. For more information, go to www.jchcorp.org.
Source: Media Consultants on behalf of JCHC of Metropolitan New Jersey